Thursday, April 20, 2006

 

Observation Tomorrow

I've been teaching (yes, teaching) math all week. I've enjoyed it. Teaching the same class for multiple consecutive days is a new experience. I've actually been giving them quizzes on stuff I've taught them. That's cool. There have been quite a range of grades, from the 40's up to perfect quizzes, so not everyone is understanding what I'm teaching, but most are. One of the other math teachers said they saw several students sitting after school outside the math classroom with their math books out and asked how the sub was doing. The students all said that I was teaching them everything they need to know. That's good enough for me. When I was sitting watching the kids take a quiz on material I taught it seemed surreal that I could be a teacher. But, when I'm up in front of the students it feels natural. An interesting week.

Today, I managed to get behind in the schedule the teacher set for me. There were short classes today, and the quiz the teacher made took much longer than she anticipated so I didn't get any teaching done. I cancelled the homework for tonight (no complaints heard) and talked to the other math teachers to see what to do about it. They weren't concerned. They're teaching this class tomorrow (more on that in a bit) so they'll just teach what I didn't get to today.

Tomorrow I'm teaching physics. Well, I'm showing a video to most of the classes, but in two of the classes I'm running a lab. During some part of the lab classes (not sure when) I'll be observed by someone (not sure who) so they can see if I'll be a good teacher or not. I hear Monday my competition is going to be teaching the physics class for their observation.
Hopefully this means I'll hear one way or the other soon about this job.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?