Saturday, May 27, 2006

 

Shocking

At the school I was subbing for (I really should have given it a name) each grade had a big class picture taken. The day they were handed out to the kids they were a topic of discussion in my classes. Who looked good, who didn't. Who they liked, who they didn't. You get the idea.

One class tried to get as many people as possible to wear the class shirt. Well, less than half of them did so the picture was photoshopped so that more of the kids were wearing the class shirt. It was an OK photoshop job. The newly dressed kids had very flat shirts that all looked the same, and none of them were in the front row. Anyway, no big deal.

My senior year in high school a number of kids got in trouble for flashing white supremacist hand signs in some pics that got in the yearbook. You may think that's horrible, but it was just stupid. Stupid in that the only black guy in my class was declared an "honorary white guy" by the white supremacist crowd since he was a part of their group. Go figure. They all had to publicly apologize to our class right before graduation or they wouldn't be allowed to participate. We got some real heartfelt apologies delivered in monotones that implied, "We're sorry we got caught" and, "I don't see what the big deal is." Class acts, all.

Anyway, back to the point of this whole post.

In another of the class photos a kid is flashing "the shocker" on his leg, subtlely (for plausible deniability I'm sure), but it's there.

The shocker is a vulger hand sign made by folding down your ring finger. Read this (not you, Mom) if you really, really want to know what it stands for. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I saw it and had to laugh that the shocker got through the censors, but they felt it important to change kids shirts to match. At this school the shocker would not go over well with the faculty. For example, I overheard one teacher talking about how they stopped reading a book 3 pages in when it had a swear word. I'm guessing that the powers that be just don't know about the shocker. It seems like it would be much easier to photoshop part of a finger into the picture than it would be to change people's shirts.

I'd be curious to see how long it takes someone to notice it when it's on the office wall next year.

Comments:
Wow! That's vulgar!

And I thought all along that people flashing that sign were just missing part of their ring finger. hmm
 
No way... I never heard of the shocker! This, I fear, is proof positive that I am now old and lame. I just figured out how to correctly say 50 cent, now this! What else am I missing?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?