Saturday, June 10, 2006

 

The Test

I had 5 hours to take my test this morning; I used 2 of them. Some people would consider that a bad sign, but I take standardized tests quickly and I feel I did pretty well. I'm being cautiously optimistic about it. I'll be able to see my score online on June 30. I'm hoping it will be a good birthday present.

I was surprised by the number of people taking tests today. There were probably 700 people there. I figured it would be a few dozen, or maybe 100, but I was very wrong. There were a couple of dozen in my testing room; one room of nearly 30 total.

I've found, and will elaborate in a future post about a conference I attended last week, that teachers don't follow directions any better than high school students. I thought they would be better than the students since they tend to complain about how bad students are at following directions. However, despite repeated admonitions not to get in the entrance line early or until the line was shorter the line kept growing and growing. People tried to go through the "express lane" (the one you went in if you didn't have a purse to be searched or cell phone to check) with bags and kids. Did they think they were going to check their kid at the property reclamation table, or did they think their kid would be perfectly silent for 5 hours. I think there's a reason they're forbidden from the testing site.

Comments:
You'll find teachers are actually worse than students when it comes to keeping them in line. Cats are easier to manage. Just wait for the faculty meetings . . .
 
That's so true Guy... Faculty meeting are also hilarious to watch teachers misbehave in front of the principal
 
I wonder, does the rate at which a teacher follows directions vary directly with the subjects they teach? In general, do more science teachers act logically while art teachers act abstractly? Or do many teachers just think they know it all and don't have to listen? I work around scientists and engineers, and that last one runs pretty strongly in a lot of them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?