Monday, June 26, 2006

 

Wedding Trip

I just got back the wedding of a couple of college friends. While there I saw a number of people I haven't seen in a while. Several of them are teachers. When they found out I'll be teaching AP my first year I was called many things; the tamest of which is "you bastard." I'd print the others, but, with the exception of the "Shocker" post, this is a family blog.

I was given a warning about the AP conference I'll be attending in a couple of weeks. Apparently, they take 15 minutes of material and take 3 hours to teach it. Ugh, I can't wait. I guess I'll be brushing up my mad Sudoku skillz.

I though I had seen the last of stupid powerpoint presentations when I left the corporate world. Well, I was told that faculty meetings typically have a powerpoint presentation which is printed out and given to you, AND, if that wasn't bad enough, is then read to you. If I could get a firm grasp on my hair I'd pull it out! Three of my pet peeves at once!

Please, for everyone's sake, if you ever have to give a powerpoint presentation:
  1. Don't read the slides to me. I'm a big boy; I learned how to read a long time ago.
  2. If you have my email address, don't print the slideshow. I'm a big boy; if I want it on paper I can click "print."
  3. Come up with a better way of giving your presentation. Technology should be used to enhance your presentation, not be the presentation. If you aren't a necessary part of the presentation then don't present it, email it.
Anyway, everyone had good advice, thinks I'll be a good teacher, and thinks I'll have fun teaching. I'll find out soon enough.

Comments:
Those three pet peeves are the same thing they teach you in every presentation skills class in the corporate world. Somewhere, though, it always gets lost...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?