Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

Volleyball

In one of my AP classes I have 3 varsity volleyball players (all with the same name, incidentally). I didn't know this. Well, I didn't know this until I had gone to a JV game with some other teachers and was leaving afterwards to go to dinner with them. As I was walking out I ran into my 3 students getting ready for the varsity game which followed the JV game. I also saw 2 of my students who are varsity cheerleaders. So now I have 5 of my students giving me a hard time about leaving before the varsity game starts. I would have stayed, but I hadn't eaten all day and was running on 3 hours of sleep so I just wanted to eat and sleep (this is Friday afternoon). I told them to bring me a schedule to put on the classroom wall, and I would go to their next home game.

I was surprised at how excited they were to see me and how much they wanted me to stay for their game. I didn't realize it would be that big of a deal to have a teacher watching their game. I went to their most recent home game (which they won) which was right before back to school night. The parents of my 3 volleyballers told me their daughters were excited to see me at the game, and when I saw my volleyballers today they seemed to think it was very cool that I had seen their game.

I had fun, so I'll try to go to more events that my students are in.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?