Tuesday, October 17, 2006

 

To Union or not to Union?

I've been encouraged to join a teachers union (everyone seems to have their own idea about which one to join) because it's a "good thing." Blah blah blah, bargaining power, blah blah blah, gains for teachers, blah blah blah, legal protection. Ok, that last one catches me. I want to have some sort of legal protection in case some student decides to make up a story to ruin my life. I know someone this has happened to, and it is an understatement to say it has caused him great difficulties. The question becomes, what non-union options are there for comparison?

I've found AAE Teachers, which is a non-union, non-political, non-profit group for teachers which offers (among other things) legal protection. Anyone know of any others like this?

Once, I found a company that offered legal insurance for teachers just like car insurance, but I can't find it anymore.

It appears there are options, so the question is now, union or non-union?

I have to say, this really isn't a question for me. I think unions are an anachronism which serve no modern purpose other than causing problems for, and inhibiting, American business. They were great in their time, but that time has long passed. So, I can't join a union. On one of the new teacher training days there was a time where we could go talk to all of the professional organization booths. I almost went and tried to stir up the union folk, but it had been a long day and I just wanted to go home, so I didn't. I was going to talk to them about how my dues would be used for political purposes, and what say I had in those choices. I know the answers already (Democrat, and none), but I thought it would be fun to push some buttons. Can you imagine the look on their face if I had walked up and said, "I think teachers with concealed weapons permits should be allowed to carry in the classroom. Will your union work towards that goal?" I'm imagining some bug-eyed sputtering.

Anyway, I could rant on that for a while, but that's not the point of this post. I can't join a union, and I want legal protection. What do you suggest?


Comments:
I went with UEA, just for the $7.5 million in insurance. I hated the political aspect, but it kept my butt covered at teh least expense to me.
 
If I were a teacher I'd go for the union. Do you think a doctor wouldn't join the AMA just because he's a democrat?
The only problem you have with NEA is that it is primarily comprised of democrats -
Only once Fox News gives teacher unions the thumbs up will you consider it - and I don't see hell freezing over anytime soon.
 
hey dave

I was waiting for a posting along these lines. Yep, you need insurance. Peace of mind and job security are great aspects of a union. Hopefully you'll find something that fits your needs.
 
The problem is with the unions your money is not only going towards political campaigns, it is going to pay some amazing salaries and pensions for the union leaders. Check out some documentation (should still be available online) for what union leaders make for salary. When they retire, they make a pension which is not less than their last salary and equal to the current salary for their former position. It's a heck of a lot of money.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?