Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 

White and Nerdy

I was watching Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" video tonight when I noticed something strange (I know, something strange in a Weird Al video, who'd have thunk). At several points in the video Al is dancing in front of a white background with this equation on it:


It's Schodinger's time-independant wave equation for the Hydrogen atom. I first thought, "That's cool. I remember doing stuff like that in college." Then I thought, "Hey, isn't that h supposed to be an h-bar?" So I looked it up and, sure enough, it's supposed to look like this:


Apparently I qualify as white and nerdy. Hmm... do I tell my students?

If you're interested, the wikipedia entry about the song is fun. That's where I got the equation images.

Comments:
It's scary how many of the references in that video apply to me, a Prius owning, lawn mowing, Monty Python quoting, RPG playing, ROTFLOLing, Klingon dictionary owning, white nerd. But then who even knows what h-bar or that crazy upside down delta even are? You're a real nerd.
 
Product Zero Rule Property

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPRsfnJR_U&mode=related&search=

Here's a follow up clip from a teacher that is self proclaimed "brown and nerdy"

gets a little weird...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?